Monday 15 June 2020

Recipe: Mac-less Mac & Cheese!

Before I discovered the bread-less keto burgers I made the other week (using cabbage as a bun), my favourite keto food was the keto mac & cheese Nuri has been making it for us for many months now! It's very simple and I always enjoy it. You basically chop some cauliflower into small pieces, boil it, and drain it. That's your macaroni. While that's happening, we'd normally put some bacon in the oven and cook until it's a little crispy, then we take it out and chop into small bits. Then we toss the bacon into the pot of cauliflower, and pour a small pack of mozzarella cheese and mix everything together. If you cover the pot, the cheese just melts into the mixture and everything becomes creamy. It's absolutely yummy!

Today, we made the mac and cheese, but a little fancier (we went just a little extra on the meat). Here's the recipe in photos:

1. First, I prepared the meat. I sauted some onions with garlic and black pepper, then added some chicken breast strips. When it was slightly brown, I added some chopped bacon. I fried it all together until crispy to my liking. I added some hot paprika, and in the last 5 minutes I added some chopped mushrooms. You can be creative with this; sometimes add hotdog to the bacon. You can add bell peppers if you like.


2. While the meat was frying, we chopped half a cauliflower (including the stem and leaves). Wash, then put in a large bowl and pourboiling water into the pot (just enough to submerge the cauliflower). This part doesn't take long because the water is already hot. You could boil the cauliflower for maybe just 10 minutes. When it's done, take the water out/drain it. 


3. Mix the meat with the cauliflower.


4. Add in the cheese! We normally just go with mozzarella. Today we added a little bit of cream cheese as well. You do this while the fire is off. The cheese will quickly melt with the steam of the hot food. Mix and mix and that's it!


5. Here's my plate, topped with some parmesan cheese.


Often, there's sauce at the bottom of the pot (remaining water from the cauliflower) which mixes with the cheese, and has the flavours of the meat. It's a very heart-warming dish which we enjoy together every single time. Mac and cheese without the carbs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment