Thursday 18 June 2020

Recipe: Lemon Loaf Cake

If there's one thing I must always have in the kitchen - it's got to be lemon! I LOVE most sour things - especially in desserts (eg. candies, sorbets, cakes with berries). Certain meals I have are always drenched in lemon juice (corned beef, baked salmon, adobo, stir fry...) When Nuri and I were planning our wedding, the plan was to only serve desserts (pastries and baked goodies with tea and coffee at 4pm). We reached out to our friends on the guest list to bake something, but there was one particular item that I insisted on having, and wanted it so bad. Lemon bars! None of my friends could make it, but one friend said he makes great lemon cheesecake and I was so excited for that! Believe me, I was looking forward to it so much that I let Nuri decide completely on the wedding cake (he wanted a super-duper-chocolatey-chocolate cake, which I wasn't crazy about but I didn't mind, as long as I could have something lemon-y to devour!) I didn't get to have that lemon cheesecake because the party didn't happen, but when we went on lockdown and I decided to give baking a try, the very first recipe I looked for and tried was a lemon cake! I first made it two months ago and I absolutely loved it, and yesterday (my second time making it), I decided to take photos photos so that I could share the recipe with you! 

1. You'll need the following ingredients in one mixing bowl:
  • 1/2 cup (113g) softened butter (Since I don't have a microwave, I simply just took the butter out of the fridge and left it on the table for about two hours to soften)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • Whisk together for around 10 minutes, until fluffy
  •  Pour in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • The zest of 3 large lemons
  • Whisk away 


  • Three eggs. Add them in one by one (pour one, then whisk, then add another one and whisk...) 


2. Set that mixture aside, then get another bowl and add:
  • 1.5 cup of flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • Half a teaspon of salt 
  • Mix all together with a spoon 

3. Then pour in half of the flour mixture into the other bowl (with the liquid mixture). 
  • Fold in the flour with a spatula

  • Add half a cup of Greek yoghurt

  • And 2 spoons of lemon juice 

 3. Whisk, then add in the other half of the flour, fold in and whisk until everything is mixed well.


4. Pour into a loaf tin, and bake for one hour at 160°C



5. Just before the hour is up, you can start preparing the lemon syrup:
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 2 spoons of lemon juice
  • melt over low fire


6. Take out the lemon cake loaf, and while it is still hot, poke some holes at the top. You can use a toothpick, or a fork.


7. After you've made the little holes, pour in the lemon syrup and watch it sink into the cake!! Don't worry about the messy holes, because you can cover it up with lemon frosting!


8.  When the cake has cooled (in around 2-3 hours), you can start preparing the lemon frosting:
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 3-4 spoons of lemon juice
  • Mix in a bowl until it becomes smooth 
  • Take the cake out of the pan, and unto a plate and pour the frosting over the top!


9. Optional - decorate the top of the cake with some lemon zest, or candy spinkles


 10. Be patient! Wait another hour for the frosting to set then it's ready to be enjoyed!

Perfect for the summer with some cold coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment