Wednesday 1 July 2020

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake!

 For my beloved husband's birthday last weekend, I decided to make him a chocolate chip cookie cake! He loves chocolate cake, but I didn't want to just make a chocolate cake; I wanted to learn something new too! I also know that he loved chocolate chip cookies SO I decided to look for a recipe that combined the two and lo and behold, I found one! This recipe is very simple and easy to put together, and gave us many slices which we've been sharing with a few friends this week.

1. In a large bowl, mix:
  • 2/3 cups of white sugar
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 170g of melted butter



 2. Mix together with a whisk or spatula until it becomes thick, then add:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • Continue to whisk


3. In a separate bowl, add:
  • 2+1/4 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 spoon corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • Mix together, then slowly add them to the doughy mixture. Preferably half, mix, then the other half


It will become sticky, so best to use a spatula at this point

 4. Add in 2 cups of dark chocolate chips! Fold in the chocochips into the batter



 I did a little something extra to this recipe, and you're about to find out!

5. First, I only poured half of the batter into the baking tray:

6. Then, I took out a jar of nutella....and you can imagine what happened next!

 Yep, I spread nutella goodness over the batter

 Then I added the rest of the batter on top


 7. Bake for 35 minutes at 175°C

After the cake had cooled down just a tiny bit, I cut them into little squares and we celebrated! They're best enjoyed warm! 


Then I thought about the frozen berries we had in the freezer and I did another little experiment - I put some whipped cream on top, and some raspberries, and the combination was DIVINE! Sweet, with a little bit of sour! Incredible! 

This cookie-cake indeed tasted like both! 
The top and edges were crunchy just like a cookie, 
but the insides were soft and gooey like a fudgy brownie! 



As beautiful as this turned out, one little thing went wrong during the baking.  The recipe said 170g of melted butter. I weighed 170g of hard butter, and melted it and used all of it. My batter looked pretty runny, compared to the original recipe I was following.  In fact, after baking for 35 minutes, when I took it out, the insides of the cake was buttery/oily and so I kept it in the oven a little longer hoping it would dry out. So I basically had to overcook it. It still tasted great, of course, but the only difference was that the top and edges became a lot more crunchy. This taught me that 170g of butter is different from 170g of melted butter :) So please take note ;) But either way, it still worked out... if you end up making this mistake, then bake at 175°C for around an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment