Saturday 1 April 2017

Kitchen throwbacks

I pulled off all my posts in Instagram and hibernated for a couple of months (that's what I do when I regret how much technology has been consuming my life), and now I've decided to re-post them on my blog. In case you haven't noticed, farzaneology has moved from .blogspot.com to simply .com! Yes, I invested in my own domain name. I have lots and lots of plans for this blog, and to be honest, I felt that spending for my domain name would really push me to write more often. As for the food blogs, I've cooked a lot of new things recently, but before sharing them I'll be posting these throwbacks just because they're no longer on instagram and do need a new place to exist. 

You might remember these crab cakes


I did more cooking in Iran than anywhere else because every edible thing there is just amazing! fresh and natural! I love how they play around with yoghurt in Iran - they mix shallots, cucumbers, eggplant. I made this a sweet breakfast - plain yoghurt with some sour cherry jam, apples, cashew nuts and raisins 
Nigerian stew with roasted fish
mashed pumpkin (with garlic) and some shrimps from Bandar Abbass. This was soupy and divine

and again you might remember the time I made some home made pesto
British breakfast happens to be my ultimate favorite breakfast.
Nothing beats the fresh mushrooms, those chicken sausages and wheat bread
when my Dad butched a ram, we made cooked its liver, kidney, heart and balls..together with some potatoes. This is actually a Persian dish and it is AMAZING. It's really fatty...so it always goes with some lemon, vinegar or pomegranate syrup.
This was when I mixed Italian and Nigerian together - pasta, ground beef and some fried plantain
Nigerian breakfast I made back home - egg stew (tomato omelet) with boiled yam
Back in Nigeria, we found a whole pack of glutinous rice in the storage, so my mom taught me how to make one of my favorite Filipino sweets - Palitaw! glutinous rice, coconut, sesame seeds and sugar
There's nothing special to this...the chicken, potatoes, yam and plantain were all just fried. But after arranging it on the plates like this, it turned some simple to really special. Starting #Farzinthekitchen on instagram had taught me take my time and arrange the food before serving. No, not for the picture, but for actually serving (whether it's family or friends)...but first impressions on food matter a lot
This, for instance, does not look amazing. I didn't really know how to make kimchi look pretty. And I cooked the chicken in the pressure cooker, so it became very very soft - you can see how the meat's melting off the bones. But nevertheless, this is one of the simples and fastest things to prepare. 
The most exciting part about this lunch I once prepared was the salad! I'm not much of a salad person, but this particular afternoon, I decided to put some vegetables together, to accompany the roasted chicken and potatoes. No rice needed. 
straight from the pot - lamb biryani
the way I like my noodles - spicy and shrimpy