Friday 16 September 2016

A year's reads

Last weekend, I met some of the Baha'i friends in this area for the first time since I got back to the Philippines. After a lovely round of prayers and breakfast, I went over the host's bookshelf - this is a habit I have (I LOVE going through people's bookshelves). I haven't been able to keep books since 2012 because of non-stop traveling/moving from one place to another. As far as I can remember, the last book I bought and was able to keep was in December 2013 (I can't tell you what it is - it's a controversial book, and I left it in a controversial country haha). Back to last weekend - I found this family's shelf very interesting: it was a mix of science and religion! Most Baha'i families's shelves that I've gone through only have Baha'i books, but this one had books from other religions as well, and a lot of sciences. As always, I picked out a book and asked permission to borrow. I only started reading "Your Best Brain" by Prof. John Medina recently and I love it already. It made me realize how much I've missed reading words and paragraphs that are not on CNN.com. I read news articles everyday and I'm so immersed in current affairs that I've totally forgotten about other literature. After this book, I plan to visit a bookstore and buy myself a new adventure. 

In this post, I'm going to share with you all the books I've read in the last one year (since August 2015) - most of which were borrowed off friends' shelves in India. 

1) Baha'u'llah: The Promised One, by Gloria Faizi
It took me several weeks to read this little book - because it made me cry a lot. It's beautifully written. It's filled with stories about the early Baha'is, particularly the difficulties they faced. The descriptions of the horrific opposition they faced --- it's stories like the ones in this book that make me feel really blessed to be a Baha'i...and constantly remember to seize the opportunities I have today, which are very unlimited compared to the early believers, and teach the Faith...through words and deeds.
*Read more about Gloria Faizi in this link

2) In Grandfather's Barn, by William Sears
This was the book I got from the same shelf right after returning the previous one. I wanted something lighter...so I picked this book because of its cover! I wouldn't really call it a book for children, but the writing was a lot simpler ...though you had to do a lot of reading between the lines. It had a lot of humour...but it was deep...very deep... about "faith".




3) Stories About the Fund, by Gloria Faizi
I think every Baha'i treasurer (of LSA/NSA/RBC, etc) should have this book and share some of the stories with the friends every now and then. I actually noted down some of my favorite stories in the book, and shared them with my parents and friends over the phone because they're just inspiring! So Gloria Faizi (God bless her soul) compiled stories of Baha'is who've donated to the funds (local, national, international - for activities, construction of temples, the World Center, even Huququ'llah etc). Stories of people who had absolutely nothing, and yet gave everything. As little a contribution as a single chicken egg, one's hair, one's wedding ring - turned out to be extremely valuable. Stories from friends who gave pure-heartedly to the fund, and then God showered them with blessings in the most mysterious and incredible ways. The stories remind us to be generous, to be selfless, to be faithful...to put our complete trust in God.

4) Prescriptions For Living, by Amatu'l-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum
This was my first, and still is the only, book I've read from Hand of the Cause Ruhiyyih Khanum. It's really beautiful how we have the Holy Writings (from Baha'u'llah), and talks and letters from Abdu'l-Baha and Shoghi Effendi that touch on every topic - their language is not exactly easy to understand at first read; they they require a lot of reflection, and studying! This book, however, had a very different voice - it touches on several aspects of life (our behavior/attitude, our relationships, our work, happiness...) in a style so easy for us to understand. I actually enjoyed the book because it explains some of the laws in a very relate-able way. This book definitely gave me a lot of guidance.

5/6) Some Answered Questions, AND Paris Talks, by Abdu'l-Baha
It was only last year that I learnt that Abdu'l-Baha did not write a lot of books, but instead He had revealed thousaannnddss of tablets, and gave thousands of speeches (especially during His visits to the West) - so these were compiled. I borrowed Some Answered Questions, and then I read Paris Talks on my computer. My favorite part of Some Answered Questions was the second part - addressing some Christian topics....I learnt a lot/ it was mind-blowing! hehe


7) The Promised Day is Come, by Shoghi Effendi
I remember we were coming back from a Baha'i wedding, and I was in the car with some guests from outside Lucknow. We were talking about the wars/troubles in the Middle East, and one of the friends made reference to this book by the beloved Guardian. Out of curiosity I looked for this book on Baha'i Reference and it was WOW! I've always heard stories from Baha'i friends about how all the calamities the world has faced, is facing and will face in the future were foretold by Baha'u'llah (even in exact details) but this was the first time I read it by myself.
"The ages of its infancy and childhood are past, never again to return, while the Great Age, the consummation of all ages, which must signalize the coming of age of the entire human race, is yet to come... This will indeed be the fitting climax of that process of integration which, starting with the family, the smallest unit in the scale of human organization, must, after having called successively into being the tribe, the city-state, and the nation, continue to operate until it culminates in the unification of the whole world, the final object and the crowning glory of human evolution on this planet. It is this stage which humanity, willingly or unwillingly, is resistlessly approaching..."

Yes, things are getting bad...but GREATNESS awaits our future. Such a beautiful read!

8) Your Best Brain, by Dr. John Medina
[still in progress]. So the first non-Baha'i book all year. I took this off the friend's shelf because this was my first time coming across a book about the brain - about how it works. Back in highschool we learnt about the physical components of the brain, the functions - but this books shows more! It's almost like a textbook (there are questions after each chapter!) So far I've learnt a few things from this book about memory, emotional feelings and the brain, what's responsible for intelligence, how to take care of our brain (enough sleep is one way!) We really do need to take care of our brains - they are the ultimate survival organ/ to cope with the changes in this world. The language is very simple, despite Dr. Medina being such a pro! Difficult scientific words can be a turn-off for those who aren't used to it, so I'm really enjoying this book.