Sunday 10 July 2016

Farzanya

Does that sound like lasagna? Yes it does! Lasagna happens to be my number one favorite food; the very first food I learnt how to cook (during my university days...got the recipe over the phone from my Mom); the one thing I prepare each time I go to Calamba with my friends. I've never been able to make my lasagna look pretty - but it has never gone wrong either. Thank goodness you can't see this huge silly grin on my face while typing this! Or maybe I should stop typing and just post photos of some of my lasagnas...over the years :)

One of the first lasagna I ever made
I made this when I was in Sheffield - I didn't have an oven, and didn't buy
many pots/pans because I was only there for a year. So I used this pot and baked
my lasagna in a microwave! So wrong but so yumm :P 

the first vegetarian lasagna I made - for my 23rd birthday in Iran this year. Vegetarian because
after having spent a whole year in India, I've realized there are two kinds of people in this
world - a veg and a non-veg, and we always have to be considerate!

Yes, I've baked up to three lasagnas at once!

Now these two photos are not lasagna. The first is left-over tomato spaghetti and meatballs from my 16th birthday. I mixed them up, put them in a glass tray, sprinkled cheese on top (wait sprinkled is the wrong word) and then baked! tastes just the same! The one on the right is penne. Exact same recipe, just no layers! 





My recipe:
1) Add some oil and salt to boiling water then add the lasagna pasta. boil til soft.
2) the red sauce: saute some onions and garlic; add the ground beef. fry until brownish. For flavor, I like to add some black pepper, grated nutmeg and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When the meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce (blended tomatoes). Sometimes I add slices of capsicum. Cook for a few minutes, and just before you turn off the fire, add a spoon of tomato paste. Add salt as much as you want.
3) On the tray - oil, then pasta, then meat sauce, then cream (yep, I just buy a packet of all purpose cream; I don't make my own bechamel sauce because I am not very patient...) :) cheese then another pasta layer....meat sauce... cream and cheese all the way til the top. Cover the top layer of meat sauce with lots of cream and cheese and bake until the cheese at the edges of your pan goes brown.
Enjoy!