Friday 28 October 2016

Gummy Halloween

Even though I am generally scared of anything scary - I can not survive a whole scary movie (the last time I watched one, I stayed awake for two whole days), I am terribly afraid of the dark (I cannot sleep in absolute darkness) - I still look forward to halloween every year! Not the scary part of course - but the creative part!


This year - no party, no dress up, so I decided to try something new - make halloween treats! I created three very simple desserts, which I've also given names to.  

Theme: Gummy worms! 


1. Gummy Jelly Wormy
I prepared two gelatine separately - one red and one green. After melting the jelly powder in hot water, I poured each into a glass, and in the third glass I mixed the green and red, then I let them cool in room temperature. After about 30 minutes I put them in the fridge for five minutes, then took them out and placed the gummy worms (some inside, some on top). See, after just five minutes in the fridge, only the top of the jelly becomes hard, which makes it easy to place gummy worms on top, or pierce one through. After that, I put them back in the fridge and chilled overnight: 


One wormy needs a band-aid






2. Soily Wormy
Two years ago I made this for my family. The bottom part is marshmallows melted in butter, later mixed with chocolate rice krispies then flattened out. Crushed oreos on the top (to look like soil) followed by gummy worms. It was absolutely yum!
Throwback 
I couldn't find rice krispies at the mall today, so I bought a bar of "Choco-Mucho" instead (which is the same thing) except that I don't like the shape...now it looks like poop in the middle of the plate!


I made a hole on the chocolate bar and stuck a worm in there for an extra "eww" effect 

So the first treat looks like a witch's cauldroun (the green jelly); the second one looks like poop....and now for the third treat.. Here's a story. After preparing this plate, I showed my Mom. She looked at it for a long time, trying to figure out what it was. So I asked her "does this look like vomit?" She laughed and said yes! I hope no one takes offence with the way I'm describing this - believe me, this is very mild, compared to the other kinds of Halloween foods out there :) And besides that's the whole point of this - to make creative eeky yucky yummy treats!


3. De-wormy 
Horrible name, right? I'll tell you why later. So this is basically oatmeal! I added a teaspoon of pistachio nut cream to make it a bit green in color, then half a teaspoon of chocolate for a bit of brown as well. Mix mix mix to have a not-so-pretty plate, then I placed the worms and sprinkled some crushed oreo.


they're hungry
After a few shots, I noticed that one of the worms was melting, from the warmth of the oatmeal! (look at the orange one) It looked really gooey, as if the worm's emerging from the puke. Hence...deworm :)


There you have it! Really simple and easy-to-make sweets (very sweet indeed). They don't take much time at all (even for the gelatine; a few hours in the fridge would do/not necessarily overnight).