Monday 1 August 2016

Chia seeds

A few months ago my Mom brought the chia seeds out of the cupboard and started straining/soaking them on a daily basis, adding them to her hot coffee. I didn't think much of it at first. She told me that chia seeds cleans your gut. So I tried chia seeds with my coffee not because I needed gut cleansing, but because it just looked beautiful. After straining the seeds (to remove the sand) and soaking them overnight in some water - they really did look beautiful, especially in my transparent mug with cold or hot coffee or chocolate. 

Then my mom and I started mixing our chia seeds with other things - eg. yoghurt, fruits, milk (oh and the best - with condensed milk and jelly). Chia seeds are tasteless; they're really tiny too so no chewing involved. I started making breakfasts and desserts with chia seeds and posted them on my instagram (#Farzinthekitchen). Then one day I got a call from a blogger friend Jecintha - she asked me "What are chia seeds?" I told her the little that I knew, and she said they just look amazing. A few hours later she texted me a link containing all the benefits of chia seeds. The link said chia seeds are rich in fibre, vitamins, antioxidants; they helps with your digestive health (yup, cleans the gut); regulates blood pressure and cholesterol; cures diabetes; boosts metabolism and energy (I might disagree with this; apparently chia seeds can keep you full for a long time but no... I still get really hungry soon after!) At the end of the article it shows "side effects" but there were no side effects (see for yourself). 

I was really grateful for the link she sent; it was a relief to know that something I consume almost everyday just because they look beautiful, is actually in fact very good for your health! Here are a few ways I've enjoyed my chia seeds/ ideas for you: 

green tea jelly, banana, chia seeds and condensed milk. An absolute delight!
sweetened yoghurt, chia seeds, apples and cinnamon powder
whole wheat grains (Kelloggs), raisins, yoghurt and chia seeds. A very filling breakfast