Saturday 1 October 2016

Ice Box Cake

For the first 16 years of my life, my dear mother made my birthday cake. This year, for the first time...I made the birthday cake for my dad (in March) and today for my mom. It's amazing how things change with time; sometimes my mom comes home to food cooked by me and nowadays I'm the one who reminds my Dad to eat healthy...it's basically a reverse of roles!

I made two no-bake cakes for her special day today. An ice box cake and a cheesy cheesecake (see here). Ice box cake is basically biscuit, cream, biscuit, cream...in layers. 
Here's how I did it:

Ingredients: Graham Crackers, All Purpose Cream, Cinnamon Powder, 
Sugar, Cashew Nuts, Banana, Marshmallows. 

I blended the cream with cinnamon powder (just because I love cinnamon powder), and sugar. Blend blend blend for several minutes until cream is really thick. 




Step 1: I smeared some cream to the bottom of the glass tray then laid out the crackers. The cream at the bottom helps keep the crackers still. *cream is the foundation of all icebox cake goodness* lol
Step 2: Cover the crackers with the cream mixture, add some thinly sliced bananas, and throw in some cashew nuts! Easy. Repeat...add another layer of crackers on top, then cream and bananas. I made five layers.

On top of the last layer of crackers, I put cream and then marshmallows. Refrigerated overnight. Overnight is best for ice box cakes, to help the crackers absorb the cream (become moist and soft). Before taking the cake out this afternoon, I put it in the freezer for a few hours. It was divine! You can guess what happened - the cream became ice cream!


I had a few bananas and some cream left after making the big cake yesterday, so I decided to make a small one to surprise my mom with at midnight. Same process: Graham crackers, cream, bananas...four layers, topped with pretty marshmallows!

I lit a candle at 12:00 midnight, and went into my mom's room, singing happy birthday!


This was this afternoon, after slicing the cake. It tasted amazing! It wasn't too sweet (just like the cheesecake - I really dislike very sweet sweets. The sweetest thing here were the marshmallows). I loved the cream too. As you see, I made my own cream instead of using ready made whipped cream (I don't like whipped cream, they taste so empty). The crackers were really soft too. Such a happy cake!